Thursday, November 8, 2018

Advice From a Senior

Advice From a Senior
Written by Cole Moore
Pictured above is Jawaad Siraj posing for an instagram picture on a bench.


It’s normal to feel overwhelmed, nervous, and even afraid at times when school or work is looming and the future is undetermined. Life is scary and draining for everyone. But in times of need we look for strength from those who have gone before us and seem to have prevailed, those who are older than us. Take senior at Stockton University Jawaad Siraj, 22 years old and gearing up to graduate.

“Word of advice: Try your best to brighten someone's day because you have no idea what they're going through or what they need to hear.”

Having gone through the majority of his college experience Jawaad took a look back on his experience remembering the good times.

“My best experience at Stockton was being a part of the Education Opportunity Fund program and attending Stockton for five weeks in the summer before my freshman year. I not only enjoyed the help and guidance… but I also met people that I know will be a part of my life for many years to come.”

But not everything was great with school as Jawaad reflected on one of his worst experiences.

“My worst experience was probably getting stuck with a bad roommate situation freshman year. It really affected me because I never felt comfortable in my own space.”

Ups and downs are what we all face, Jawaad had his best experience before his freshman year which was quickly followed by his worst experience when he actually started school. Coming from someone who has had his fair share of highs and lows Jawaad remains positive and wakes up everyday knowing it’s another fresh start.

“Basically just the idea that I can make someone’s day better; and that every day is a new day where I can start fresh.”

Jawaad consistently harps on focusing on others which is a lesson for all of us. It’s impossible to understand everything about a person when you can’t see behind the closed doors of their life. You wouldn’t know it based off of first impressions but Jawaad deals with social anxiety.

“Like I said I have social anxiety but I’ve been trying really hard to work on it. It’s really normal to get nervous.”

You wouldn’t guess Jawaad has social anxiety based on his drive to brighten others day, but that is the whole point. You never know what someone is dealing with and treating others as such will transform your life.

Leaving the students of Stockton with one last bit of advice Jawaad had this to say about being involved in school. “I wish I got more involved on campus and left my mark on Stockton. I don’t want my family legacy to die with me even though it might (laughs). I recommend being as involved on campus as your schedule allows you. Join clubs, go to events, and of course take advantage of any free trips the school offers. You’ll be a senior too, faster than you think.”


###

No comments:

Post a Comment